Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Friendships

One of the things that I've felt was lacking in my life over the past year was a friend in close proximity. Thanks to the wandering military lifestyle that my family lived over the past 6 1/2 years, I've got many close friends. Unfortunately, they are spread out all over this great nation.

For the past several months I'd been discussing with the Lord on a regular basis about my lack of nearby friends. I couldn't fathom how He (the Lord of all creation and the inventor of friendships) was going to solve my problem. There just didn't seem to be anyone around to fill the position. It's isn't just everyday that new folks move into a farming community with a population of just over 500 that is located 45 miles from the nearest Walmart. I may have even told God that I didn't see any viable solutions to my situation.

And then, God in his goodness, began to show me what my eyes were failing to see. I was, in fact, already surrounded by friends.

my former fourth grade teacher
an elderly prayer warrior from church
a co-worker twenty years my senior
the 80 year old Southern bell who lives next door and regularly invites me over for tea
the church choir director
the librarian

I was so busy looking for another 30-something year old mom that I nearly missed all of the wonderful nearby friends that were loving me all along!

But my gracious heavenly Father wasn't through yet. He placed new friendships before me too ... the pastor's wife who loves to scrapbook just like me, and a coal black Christmas puppy who spends her evenings curled up at my feet making me feel more than loved. Yes, even in tiny towns where no one ever moves, God can bring new friendships. I'm glad He does because I think friendships are one of his finest creations.

God is so good. He sees to it that my cup always runs over with His blessings.

No comments: