Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Online version of our 2008 Christmas Card & Letter

Dear Family and Friends,
Have you ever felt like things were going wrong at every turn, and that no matter how hard you tried things just didn't go according to your plan? Perhaps you can relate ... but if not, please bear with me while I tell my story.

Earlier this month I ordered Christmas photo cards. From the start, it all seemed to go wrong. I placed my order online, and discovered soon afterward that the company I used was brand-new. They were overwhelmed with many more orders than they expected, and so were unable to process my order in a timely manner. Once my order finally got shipped, winter weather kept delaying the cards as they slowly made their way to my doorstep. Originally I was supposed to have received my cards by December 10th, but it was December 22nd before the cards ever showed up in my mailbox.

I was already somewhat upset about the lengthy delay, so imagine my utter shock when I opened my package and saw the the Christmas photo cards I ordered had arrived minus the photo! Who ever heard of a Christmas photo card without the photo?!? You can imagine the utter dismay and frustration I felt with the situation.



Well, after the hot angry tears were all wiped away and a good night's sleep had given me a new perspective, the thought occurred to me that maybe Joseph felt like the world was working against him on that very first Christmas. I wonder what thoughts and emotions went through is head as he tried and tried to find a safe place for Mary. And when he could find no room in the inn and had to take refuge in a barn, did he question himself as to why this was the best he could manage to do for his wife and the newborn Son of God? It seems unlikely that Joseph had first-hand knowledge that it was God's intention for the King of Kings to be born in a lowly stable. Maybe he did, but I have a feeling that Joseph felt a lot of dismay and frustration with the situation.

Obviously "The Great Christmas Card Fiasco of 2008" is far from being the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of mankind. It's not even close to being the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Truthfully, I can't even really say it was bad because in the end the company apologized for their terrible mistake and gave me a full refund, which is honestly the best thing they could do under the circumstances. And even though this is definitely not the card I had intended to send to all of my loved ones, my children were very eager to help me make lemonade from the lemons thrown our way by drawing pictures of themselves into the blank photo spot so that the cards weren't a total waste. Free Christmas cards can't be all that bad!



So maybe this won't be the best Christmas card you receive this season, but I imagine it will be the most unforgettable card. I'm hoping to send out real photo cards sometime this spring, but until then the kids and I hope you will enjoy this original creation from our house.

May your home be filled with peace and joy ... and may your hearts stay merry and bright throughout 2009!

with love,
Paige and the kids

8 comments:

Molly said...

It looks great! Merry Christmas!

Ami said...

Beautiful job, kids! Merry Christmas, Paige!
~Ami

stacy said...

i love it! have a merry christmas!

(i just posted a blogger christmas card, too. but i don't have a good excuse like you! lol.)

Ronette said...

I love your cards and am confident that everyone receiving one will be blessed!

Merry Christmas, Paige!

deleise said...

I love that card. Good job on making the most of it!

Elysa said...

Love it! And at least you're sending out Christmas cards. I only managed to get three mailed. I'm afraid the rest will be belated/New Year's cards. :/

Julie said...

Paige I think it is a true treasure!! If I received one it would make me smile and it is one that I would save.

Lisa said...

Well you know that I love it Paige. :)