Wednesday, November 12, 2008

As I was happily anticipating Thanksgiving tonight, I thought I'd share my extended family's unique tradition ... Thanksgiving breakfast.

Each Thanksgiving morning, my dad's extended family hosts a large breakfast. Most years, it numbers between 60 and 75 guests, but in years past we have numbered over 100. We have it in a old rec building (that we affectionately call The Outhouse) that is located behind my grandfather's house. It's got a large stone fireplace at one end and an old wood-burning stove at the other. By the time everyone is present, you can hardly move for all the people standing around.

My dad and his brothers will start cooking at around 5 am, and breakfast is served around 7:30 am. We cook biscuits and bacon on the old wood-burning stove. The rest of the food is cooked in the kitchen in my grandfather's house. We indulge in turkey and ham, grits, scrambled eggs, and other dishes such as fruit salad, breakfast casseroles, cinnamon rolls, etc. It's sort of a potluck as most everyone will bring something to share. You never know just what will be included in the spread of food, but whatever is there tastes wonderful for it is cooked and served with love.

I just love those Thanksgiving mornings ... it's crowded inside The Outhouse, and yet I'm cozy and secure as I'm surrounded by so many people I love. And the smells are wonderfully rustic ... from the fire in the fireplace and the stove to the good foods wafting in the air to the chill that tingles in my nose when I step outdoors. And speaking of the chilly outdoors, that's actually where many of the guests will eat on tables that have been set up for the occasion. It doesn't matter that you can see your breath hanging in the air or that your teeth chatter. We all still head outside with our plates piled high, to sit shoulder to shoulder in the autumn morning coolness. I suppose we've all learned over the years that the hot chocolate tastes better when you are cold, and the best warmth is the one that rushes over your body when you step back inside to fill up your plate with second helpings.

After the guests leave, my family will clean up in just enough time to watch the parade. Later on, some of my aunts and uncles and cousins will move on to other relatives houses to continue their Thanksgiving eating. There are years that I do as well, though usually my parents, siblings and I will have our turkey with cornbread dressing dinner the night before Thanksgiving. Often times I think about how my Thanksgiving is over before others have had time to really get started cooking, much less eating. But then I realize that I've got all day to enjoy parades, football games and naps without worrying about what's burning on the stove!

I'm looking forward to sharing Thanksgiving Breakfast with so many people I love... and thankfully, so are my children. It makes me happy to think that this will hopefully be a tradition that is continued to be passed down through the generations.

1 comment:

Amanda Towne said...

This sounds AWESOME. What a great tradition! (whistling Fiddler on the Roof music now...)