Friday, November 14, 2008

From the mind of a 5 year old

Julia has strange tastes in names. Really ... I'm not kidding. Most of the times I can't even begin to pronounce the names she comes up with for her dolls. For example, her Bitty Twins are named Honna (long o) and Sonis (short o). At first, I thought she might have meant to name them Hannah and Sonya, but just didn't pronounce them correctly. No. She's adamant that the names are Honna and Sonis. She also has a doll named Tanfee and another named Rikadill. Truly, I worry over what she might name any future children.

So tonight Julia and I went to pick up some supper from a local restaurant, and stopped in at our local Fred's Dollar Store for some sodas. As we came out, I made a comment about Fred's always being the same old Fred's. (I dislike shopping there, but occasionally I feel the need to step back in and see if I like it any better. Every time I discover that Fred's is the same old Fred's. One day I'll learn.)

Anyway, Julia got confused by my comment and asked to see Fred. So I said, "Fred is a person's name but it is also the name of this store. I don't particularly like the name Fred or this store, so please don't name any of your future babies Fred, okay?"

Julia: But Mama ... What will I name my baby?

Me: Oh, Sweetie, that's the great thing about being a Mama. You get to pick whichever name you like. What name do you like?

Julia: Hmmm ... I'll have to make something up.

Me: Well, not exactly. You could just think about names that other people have that you like the sound of and then you can use those names for your babies when you grow up to be a mommy.

Julia: No. I don't want my babies to have to share their names. I'll just make something up.

Did I mention that I'm really worried about what my future grandchildren might be named?

No comments: